Salary: Competitive (subject to experience)
Full time position
This is an opportunity to join Smith Foster as an Associate Civil Engineer in their Poole Office and help grow and develop their civil engineering capabilities on a range of infrastructure projects. This position would suit both an existing Associate Civil Engineer or an experienced Senior Civil Engineer looking to make the step up to Associate and beyond.
Main role and duties
- Establish and then lead a number of engineers and technicians within a design team, being responsible for their management and the efficient and timely delivery of their output.
- Expand services offered to existing clients and actively develop a new client base offering specifically Civil Engineering and Group wide services.
- Undertake conceptual and feasibility design, as well as detailed design independently.
- Undertake and manage thorough checking of technical content of work carried out by others to ensure that deliverables are correct and in accordance with all relevant standards, guidance and regulations.
- Manage a number of projects at any one time, overseeing the production and delivery within the office.
- Attending client and design team meetings to convey and relay key issues on technical matters, as well as programme, contractual and commercial matters, with support from colleagues and managers.
- Responsible for training of others and controlling quality of drawings within the office.
- Co-ordination with colleagues in other offices to ensure consistent standards are provided nationwide.
- Partake in internal peer reviews and pro-actively encourage knowledge dissemination within the company.
- Comply with company design, safety, quality, environmental compliance and procedural standards.
Experience, qualifications and attributes
- To be an ICE Chartered Engineer, or able to demonstrate the competency and experience of an ICE Chartered Engineer.
- Good experience and understanding of highway and drainage design.
- Very familiar with S104, S38, S278 sectional agreements.
- Strong IT knowledge and skills.
- Have a desire to work on a variety of project types and learn new skills to meet the needs of our clients.
- Have sound technical abilities and confidence, whilst knowing self-limitations.
- Understand and confidently use a number of civil engineering design software packages independently. These would ideally include Causeway PDS, Civil 3D, MicroDrainage, AutoCAD or similar.
- Must have strong communication skills, being confident to liaise with clients, local authorities, water companies, contractors and colleagues alike.
- Be able to motivate and inspire staff within their team and around them.
- Must be pro-active in self-directed CPD and keep up to date with appropriate standards and regulatory legislation, as well as developing staff within their team.
- Must hold a full clean driving licence.
- Must be prepared to travel UK wide and stay away from home on occasion.
Smith Foster is part of the JPP group. We are a Multi Discipline Construction Consultancy offering a range of professional services within the construction industry. JPP are an Equal Opportunities employer and we offer a competitive renumeration package, including an extensive benefits package.
To apply, please email a copy of your CV to [email protected]